Trading Solutions Software

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
pakua42

Post by pakua42 »

Thanks AFJ,

I appreciate you sharing. Ok, maybe this is where my confusion lies. It says right on the trading blox website the following:

Trading Bloxâ„¢ Professional is a world-class trading simulation technology that provides traders of all skill levels with access to an extraordinarily flexible and highly automated testing environment. By coupling a comprehensive, programming-free testing environment with an intuitive graphical interface, Trading Bloxâ„¢ Professional dramatically flattens the steep learning curve traditionally associated with trading system development, and helps the trader quickly gain the necessary level of confidence to successfully deploy, and consistently trade a system.

We then back up that programming-free environment with a powerful Bloxâ„¢ Basic development language available in Trading Bloxâ„¢ Builder, where you can create new Trading Bloxâ„¢, indicators, parameters, and systems. These are then available in the user environment for testing.
While Trading Bloxâ„¢ Professional bridges the gap in existing offerings, it also provides capabilities that are not available in any other software, period. For example, you can easily instruct Trading Bloxâ„¢ Professional to test the pyramiding techniques and risk management rules that are an integral part of the Turtle Trading Rules, without writing a line of code.

OK, so what I dont I dont get is, why does it seem trading blox is saying I dont need to know coding or programming and many of you guys here are saying the opposite? I hope this isnt stepping on any toes but I hope you guys can understand my confusion.

Marc
pakua42

Post by pakua42 »

Thanks EDB. Great link! But.....I am not sure if you gave it to me so I can learn from these pro's or to show me the folly of rushing into trades as many there seem to be doing. Ha! Either way, I appreciate the link. I will definitely bookmark it and visit again.

Marc
Roscoe
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Roscoe »

Hello again Marc.

I get the very distinct impression that you have managed to read the many replies to your post that have all offered to ‘steer’ you in a sensible direction and completely ignore damn near everything that has been said.

Despite your protestations to the contrary you are seeking some kind of a Holy Grail that requires a minimal effort from you and will magically make you money. Should you find such a thing please let me know - I sure haven’t found it in the past 10 years and neither has anyone else I know. Doesn’t mean that it isn’t out there somewhere and who knows? Perhaps you could be the lucky person who actually finds it!

The quote from the TBB website is quite accurate from what I have seen of the product, as is most of the content of the websites for TradeStation, Trading Recipes, Trading Solutions, Neural Networks, MetaStock, etc, etc., but when you read them carefully none of them offer actually to wipe your butt and burp you, which is what you seem to want. If you had spent the time you have wasted asking the same question over and over in buying a couple of applications and learning to use them you would be much better off by now and most of the people replying to your posts would not have wasted their time. I’m not as polite as Mr Garner and I make no apology for it – stop bleating like someone stole your play-lunch and get off your butt! Buy TBB and Trading Recipes (and anything else that takes your fancy – they are all pretty cheap) and learn how to use them, or if such technical things are beyond or beneath you then hire someone to do it for you, but do something apart from bleating. And don’t ask the same question yet again – read the answers that you already have and try and comprehend what is being said. And don’t bother replying to this and wasting still more of peoples time. That’s it from me, I’m not wasting any more time on you.
Turtle40
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Turtle40 »

Hi Pakua42,

To clarify, TB Turtle and Pro have in built systems which you can tweak the various parameters and see what effect this has. TB Builder lets you write your own "blox" as they call them. You can therefore attempt to do more advanced things.
I use Pro (no programming), and have found no end of ideas and systems to tweak and test. Takes a while to get the hang of what you can do, but it's well worth the effort.

Have you downloaded the PDF manual on the TB website yet? This is a good way of seeing what you can do with the software.
Also, as I said in a a different post somewhere, it used to be possible to download a trial version of the software, well worth it if you can get hold of the download, (ask Tim perhaps).

-Turtle40
JimR

Post by JimR »

pakua42 wrote:
Hey, I am on a short bankroll and have very little free time so when money and time are a problem, one doesnt have the luxery of making many mistakes. I have also tried to learn coding and am failing miserably at it. But, maybe I need to buy a specific book. I am still willing to learn. Also, do all of you forget, the turtles where given a specific set of rules to follow and I am quite sure they had every question answered before they put one dollar in the markets. True? So, since no one seems to have a specific set of rules, many, many questions become necessary.
Marc
Ok, Marc, as you requested: I understand your excitement & frustration :lol:. But seriously, and I have to agree with Roscoe to a large extent: you do appear to be seeking a Holy Grail. You mention, "specific" rules, and "specific" books... and as I said before I believe you are asking the wrong questions(read my earlier post). You appear to be asking for a proven set of rules that will magically make you a profitable trader from day one. First of all, that doesn't exist. Even the most successful TFs (John Henry, Dunn, Parker, etc) lose more than 50% of the time. If you have limited funds and limited time, as you said, you should do something else with your money & your time. Trading professionally is not something that can be done, at least not in the beginning stages, on a part-time basis.

Now there is good news too. And you may have found it in your own post. You said the Turtles were given specific rules and all their questions were answered before they began live trading. For the most part that is probably true (although I doubt that ALL of their questios were answered prior to placing the first trades). Are you seeing where Im going with this :idea: ? Marc, I'm tempted to let you think this through and wait for your reply to see if you actually thought about where Im leading you, but since you've been slapped around a little bit here (and deservedly so) I will not be a total ball-buster. :twisted:

You can download THE original turtle rules from http://www.originalturtles.org and there you will have your specific rules that you are seeking and most of the answers to your questions. If there are some parameters that dont fit your style, tweak them to fit you, as Mr. Garner suggested. Your answer was right in front of your face the whole time! You wont get handed any more specific a set of rules than what c.f. published in this document. In essence, this document makes you an Original Turtle, just without the $1 million trading account :shock: .

Now back to the bad news...regardless of these rules or ANY other rules, one can't realistically expect his first few trades to be winners, as you seem to desire. It is possible, but its also possible you could have 20 losers in a row right off the bat. So if your funds are that limited and you don't have the luxury of making many mistakes(as you stated), you may have a whole different challenge on your hands.

Hope this brings you a little closer to reality and a little closer to success.