Ralph Vince Test Metrics - Discussion

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
Roscoe
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Ralph Vince Test Metrics - Discussion

Post by Roscoe »

Is anyone interested in discussing the test metrics that Mr Vince describes in his book "The Mathematics of Money Management", specifically the metrics in Chapter 1 "The Emprical Techniques"?
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

I don't really see very many "test metrics" in that chapter. What I think I see is
  • The runs test for serial dependency of trade outcomes
  • Pearson's coefficient of serial correlation of trade outcomes
  • The Geometric Mean of trade outcomes
  • The Optimal f for a set of trade outcomes
Not covered in that chapter are some aspects of real-world trading that, in my opinion, are important
  1. Trades last longer than 1 day and equity fluctuations occur all throughout a trade, not just at the ending day when you know the trade outcome.
  2. More than one trade is active at any given moment.
  3. Marked-to-market accounting means that the profits (or losses) of a trade which is still underway, can increase or decrease the amount of money available to fund a new entry signal. This turbo boost effect is invisible if you only look at trade outcomes.
  4. Humans are emotional beings whose behavior is influenced by pain and/or euphoria. There really is a maximum drawdown beyond which, real humans will quit trading. They are defeated, disgusted, and miserable. There really is a maximum profit beyond which, real humans will take some (or all) chips off the table and not continue blindly parlaying their optimal bets into the trillions of Euros.
Roscoe
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Roscoe »

Hi sluggo.

I would like to focus on the following metrics: Geometric Mean in it's unweighted form (ie. without the inclusion of f in the HPR formula) and in it's weighted form (which does include f) as well as optimal f and Estimated TWR.