Continuous Reliability

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
TrendMonkey
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Continuous Reliability

Post by TrendMonkey »

I have been backtesting stocks for a while and would like to start looking at futures. I have been holding off on this because I worry that the testing may look OK but real life is going to be much different because of inaccuracies caused by continuous contract gymnastics, something I am obviously unfamiliar with coming from the stock world (though don't get me started about splits!). I am wondering how legitimate this concern is, or if am I just not sufficiently knowledgeable/experienced on this topic?
Forum Mgmnt
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Forum Mgmnt »

Continuous contracts are not inherently unreliable, however, you should take into account the costs of doing a contract roll if you do any backtesting using continuous contracts.

I wouldn't let this aspect of futures trading scare you away. A much more difficult problem for most people is the amount of capital required to trade many different futures contracts.

- Forum Mgmnt