Downloading data, keeping format.

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
Nathan
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Downloading data, keeping format.

Post by Nathan »

I have downloaded a history of the economic releases for the last three years form yahoo intoa text file. I had thought since a text file is not formatted, the downloads would simply save the pre-existing format. Yet, it does not. all hte spacing is changed, making the infromation hard to read. This is perhaps very simple, but does anyone know how I can download the data such that the format (rows, columns) are maintained?? If possible it would save me alot of time as reformatting manually (which i have started) is a pain.

thanks for any ideas.
choppystride

Post by choppystride »

Roscoe
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Roscoe »

Hi Nathan,

Text files come in few formats and a lot depends on what you are opening the file in – for example, Excel can recognize a lot of different delimiters. If you show a sample of the download and tell me what application you are opening the file with maybe I can help.
Nathan
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Roscoe,

Post by Nathan »

basically all i am doing is getting free data off the web page here:

http://biz.yahoo.com/c/e.html

I have started off going back 3 years of weekly data. the format is convenient as it is on the web page.

WHen I copy it into a text file, the formats get messed up making it hard to read, so I am going back and reformatting it manually. THat is more specifically what I am doing. A basic thing i am very sure yet, my way seems very ineffecient.

I will look at that econ site mentioned, thanks for pointing it out.
Roscoe
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Roscoe »

Hi Nathan,

I presume that you mean data like this: http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/Pre ... e/exh2.txt ? (I just followed a link at random from the main page)

I just did the following:
1. copied that page referenced above to a text file;
2. Opened Excel and imported it as a delimited file with space as the delimiter.

And Bingo! Useable data! Took longer to write this that actually do it.

Assuming that the data I selected is the type that you are having trouble with, PM me and I will step you through doing it yourself.