Any trendfollowers

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
Chelonia
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Any trendfollowers

Post by Chelonia » Mon May 22, 2017 8:33 am

Hi All,

I was just wondering if there are still some trendfollowers out here who may want to engage in a testing/trading discussion. What are you doing at the moment, how have you done over the last, lets say, 5 years. Just trying to get some discussion going as trendfollowing can be lonely and frustrating from time to time. 8)

Wisdom
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Re: Any trendfollowers

Post by Wisdom » Sun May 28, 2017 11:34 am

It's hard to get excited about a strategy with only 1 good year out of the last 5. Probably why this forum has been so quiet lately. But, I suspect better markets are coming.
Shane Wisdom
www.wisdomtrading.com

Wisdom
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Wisdom » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:18 am

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/ ... ?id=810657

It's probably a good time to start that trend following system again if you're not trading through this drawdown.

Shane Wisdom
www.wisdomtrading.com

sethd

Post by sethd » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:39 am

I took my first system live 6/1. I've been testing and researching for the past six months. Seems like a good time to begin since TF has been a rough slog the past couple of years.

rajivm
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rajivm » Tue May 29, 2018 12:29 am

Wisdom wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:18 am
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/ ... ?id=810657

It's probably a good time to start that trend following system again if you're not trading through this drawdown.

Shane Wisdom
www.wisdomtrading.com
Hello Shane

Why do you recommend A system that doesn't perform well for such long periods. I feel even one bad year is quite stressful in the life of trader.
Regards
Rajiv

Wisdom
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Wisdom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:48 pm

Trend following might not make money every year, but it's one of the best strategies that I've found for extracting profits out of the markets. PM if you have some other strategies to share. I'm interested.

Best regards,
Shane Wisdom
www.wisdomtrading.com

Chris67
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Chris67 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:10 pm

Good to see this post !
Used to love being on here 10 years ago as lots of comments but all gone quiet now as probably poor performance put so many off
I am still avidly following the trends - 2014 a great year and 2 years either side of that were rubbish. I still honestly believe we will see a blow off year and soon - dont forget all its needs is one blow off year in 10 and the performance will mean an average 10 year return is better than all the algo's and stock pickers generating their little QE induced 10% per year who will all drop an absolute bollock as soon as the wind turns ... seen it all before

Wisdom
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Wisdom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:18 pm

There's some great trends in select markets right now, but bigger sector reversals have been the challenge this year. Trend following has never been easy though, it's just one maddening cycle after another. Gotta love it.