Forex Data for Backtesting

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
tradersam
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Forex Data for Backtesting

Post by tradersam »

Hello All

Any suggestions re good quality forex spot data to be used for backtesting ? I know there are a number of free / cheap services, but the quality of the data given tends to be poor. I'd rather pay more for the good stuff.

Cheers.
tradersam
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

My post above

Post by tradersam »

I've done some searching and note that there are some good sources on the classifieds. I'll take a look at those. Cheers.
exxx
Contributor
Contributor

Post by exxx »

Hello, I advice (http://refco.fxtrek.com/Misc/refco.asp) Intellichart. It costs $100 for month and it has downloadable datas which can be in CSV and XLS format.

It has 7 days trial, so you can try it!

I use it for trading and the charts are well. I mean I dont have any problems.
TK
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

GFT Forex data for download

Post by TK »

Efix Polska (the introducing broker of GFT Forex in Poland) provides daily and intraday data for major and Polish currency pairs in Metastock format. These are GFT data and you can download them for free here:

http://www.efixpolska.com/dokumenty/?id=7

The Dane historyczne section on the right contains EOD and intraday archives in Metastock format, current as of the last week's close.

The Pliki z notowaniami section contains daily update files (including both EOD and intraday data) in the text (.PRN) format.

Each day opens at 12:00 am GMT. The Monday open price is the 12:00 am GMT price, even though trading resumes a bit earlier.
blue_seraphim
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Forex Data for Backtesting

Post by blue_seraphim »

ben_l wrote:Hello All

Any suggestions re good quality forex spot data to be used for backtesting ? I know there are a number of free / cheap services, but the quality of the data given tends to be poor. I'd rather pay more for the good stuff.

Cheers.
it can't get any cheaper than this free site :wink: http://www.global-view.com/fxhist.TXT

if you know how to import and convert text to numbers, you'll get it into excel in no time. i do mid term trend following only on spot forex, last year was very good, this year still negative, patiently waiting for the next one..... :roll:
tradersam
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Many thanks for your replies

Post by tradersam »

Thanks all - will take a look.

Gives me something to do while the currency markets make their minds up about direction !