IntraDay trading: profit target or market-on-close?

Discussions about the testing and simulation of mechanical trading systems using historical data and other methods. Trading Blox Customers should post Trading Blox specific questions in the Customer Support forum.
Clivo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Clivo »

Hi - I have an intra-day trading system & I'm trying to identify the optimal balance point between closing at a specific target price R multiple versus running the position until the close & therefore bearing the risk of giving back profit but being in the market to capture tail-type large R multis.

The spreadsheet enclosed details the distribution of multiples for the maximum profit-on-day V profit at close.

Any ideas I'd be grateful for.

Thanks.
Attachments
Murray.xlsx
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
rajivm
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Re: IntraDay trading: profit target or market-on-close?

Post by rajivm »

Clivo wrote:Hi - I have an intra-day trading system & I'm trying to identify the optimal balance point between closing at a specific target price R multiple versus running the position until the close & therefore bearing the risk of giving back profit but being in the market to capture tail-type large R multis.

The spreadsheet enclosed details the distribution of multiples for the maximum profit-on-day V profit at close.

Any ideas I'd be grateful for.

Thanks.
I always use brute Force method. Just run through the parameters and look at performance.
Thats the advantage we have now with softwares like TB and Fast computers :D
babelproofreader
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by babelproofreader »

I always use brute Force method. Just run through the parameters and look at performance.
Sorry, but I disagree with this. It demonstrates two serious biases: data mining bias and hindsight bias. Data mining bias because, given a set of data, you torture it enough to give results that are pleasing to you; hindsight bias because you are acting on a complete set of data that in reality would not have been available to you, i.e. decisions as to what to do in the earlier part of the test period are informed by data from the yet to occur, latter part of the test period.

My advice to the op is this: your profit taking exit should be determined by your expectation at the time you enter the market - if the entry day is determined to be a trend day with the close likely to be near the high/low of the day then you should hold until the close, perhaps with a trailing stop - if this is not the case then your exit should be placed at that point at which it is expected that there will be no more favourable movement in the position. If you are unable to actually distinguish between these two alternatives then, frankly, you need to do more work on your basic methodology.
rajivm
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rajivm »

babelproofreader wrote:
Sorry, but I disagree with this. It demonstrates two serious biases: data mining bias and hindsight bias. Data mining bias because, given a set of data, you torture it enough to give results that are pleasing to you; hindsight bias because you are acting on a complete set of data that in reality would not have been available to you, i.e. decisions as to what to do in the earlier part of the test period are informed by data from the yet to occur, latter part of the test period.
I thought that those were precisely the reasons we backtest. :D
I think someone said History repeats itself .
If Hitler had read about the misadventure of Napolean in Russia, Maybe we would be living in alternate universe now. :D
Clivo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Clivo »

thank you gentlemen for your food-for-thought.

I am continuing this discussion on the Intra Day forum where I now think it is more appropriate. I hope you will view it there.

Cheers :)