Hang Seng and Taiwan Indexes

General discussions about futures.
LeapFrog
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Hang Seng and Taiwan Indexes

Post by LeapFrog »

My broker is getting these setup for me to trade...can anyone who trades these tell me if they roll monthly for all 12 months or quarterly like the US equity index futures? Seems like monthly, but I have not traded them to really know. Broker is giving me access right now to the Dec10 cons but the vol seems next to nothing.
sluggo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by sluggo »

I trade the SIMEX contracts "TWMSCI" and "SIMSCI" and I roll them 12 times per year, on approximately the 24th calendar day of the zeroth month before expiration. Currenty long both (+47 and +29 respectively).

I also trade the Hang Seng on HKFE, where I roll it 12X/yr on the same day as the Taiwan and the Singapore indices. Currently long Hang Seng (+2)

The person who can answer these questions authoritatively is klatt_attack. I will permit you the joy of searching for, and finding, his posts on the subject; they are awe inspiring.
Attachments
Unfair Advantage / Edit File / Leftmost Tab "Futures"
Unfair Advantage / Edit File / Leftmost Tab "Futures"
TaiwanStockIndex_CSIsym_STW.png (25.1 KiB) Viewed 5532 times
Kiwi
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Kiwi »

I'll confirm sluggo's posts. I trade HSI, HHI, MHI etc on HKFE and STW plus others on SGX.

They roll monthly. The roll date is the day before the last business day of the calendar month. On that morning there will be volume in this month but movement will slip and in the afternoon session (for HSI) movement will virtually cease.

So, I line up to rollover at open of the day before the final business day of the calendar month. You can find a good calendar including all the Asian holidays on the interactive brokers website.
comewish

Post by comewish »

May I ask some newbie question.
If you add a new market to your trading portfilio. How do you adjust your trading suite or your positions? Do you add a position immediately if there is a open position in TB?

Second question is : if you trade different time zone market. How do you setup your computer time? Does it matter or not? And when do you generate your order?
LeapFrog
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by LeapFrog »

comewish wrote:May I ask some newbie question.
If you add a new market to your trading portfilio. How do you adjust your trading suite or your positions? Do you add a position immediately if there is a open position in TB?

Second question is : if you trade different time zone market. How do you setup your computer time? Does it matter or not? And when do you generate your order?
To answer the first question, to add a new instrument I use the attached blox. This has a start date which will typically be today. That way, my suite cannot be already in the position and its exclusion from prior trading history will ensure I'm still matching my actual positions/trading equity with my working simulation suite.

On the second, my computer time is my local time. It doesn't matter, just know the offsets on a world time clock for all your tradable markets, look up the exchange trading times and make a note of them. From that, determine your start and end session times for each product. For example, I just had a Profit Target order tonight for a market that opened later in the evening so I placed a market order to partially exit at the open with a "time release" order (which my broker provides).

Orders are generated as soon as CSI provides the data for all my portfolio, which in my case is usually around 8:00 - 8:30 PM EST. Others on this board trade more exotics than I do and they may have a different way to handle this issue. I imagine that for most LTTF approaches a few hours here or there won't amount to a hill of beans of difference.
Attachments
Frog_exclude instruments before date.tbx
Exclude Instruments Before Date
(9.28 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
comewish

Post by comewish »

Thank you LeapFrog. You are so generous and helpful. :D