NLP - anyone benefit?

Discussions about personal psychology for the individual trader.
billpritjr
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

NLP - anyone benefit?

Post by billpritjr »

Hey everybody

I am starting to get more and more interested in NLP programming, and just ordered some allegedly highly rated books on Amazon on the subject.

I desire to learn more about NLP both from a general perspective and trading-related. I saw some testimonials on Van Tharps site that seemed pretty positive.

On the surface NLP looks like something that can benefit everybody, trader or not.

Anyone in the audience an actual "user" (not sure the proper word) of NLP? Has it helped you? Has it helped your trading?

Thanks for the info

Merry X-Mas all

BILL
Jas

Post by Jas »

I think NLP has alot of potential. It basically changes the "circuit breaker" in your thoughts and beliefs that have held you back from achieving something or continuing a "bad habit".

What stops a person from deciding they just don't want to be scared anymore? What prevents a person from saying "FU$% this, I'm tired of feeling this way" and decide not to feel it anymore? It happens most often at rock bottom but there are times when people just decide to "Just Do It".
A great (true) story:

A dad was in the pool below the high dive and was waiting for his young daughter to go off for the first time. He watched her climb up, walk to the end then turn around several times and walk back down. On the sixth time, he watched her climb right back up, take a deep breath and jumped right off without any hesitation at all. Once she swam to the side of the pool he asked her "Why was the last time different from the others?"
She replied, "Well I was going to be scared whether I jumped or not, so I decided to be scared and do what I wanted to do."

I think it is fascinating when people just "decide" to do what they want to do. Or decide that they've had it and come hell or high water they're going to do what they want to do but in the past some belief has held them back from doing it.
bagherra

NLP & Hypnosis

Post by bagherra »

I've had a lot of experience in the past three or four years with both NLP and hypnosis. Both can be very effective in changing behavior, though nothing works all the time with everybody. The field is full of 'cult of personality' types, so please beware, but if you look carefully you'll find people who are willing to help you learn and aren't interested in emptying your pocketbook.

I was able to eliminate my allergies in one hypnosis session, and have gotten rid of unhelpful anger and some minor physical problems through the use of NLP. I've helped others stop smoking, lose weight, eliminate writer's block, resolve relationship problems, etcetera, mostly through hypnosis, but often with the use of NLP elements like future pacing. I do this for fun, and don't accept any remuneration for it.

As for trading, I haven't tried to improve my own or anyone else's results through these practices, mostly because I don't know many people who are part of both the investment world and the world of non-academic psychology who would like to participate. Even though NLP is supposed to be 'content free', I think it is important that the facilitator know something about trading, so as not to make verbal slip ups that distract the subject.

About a year ago, I pitched the idea of doing sessions for analysts and portfolio managers to the head of the mutual funds division of a very large bank. Nothing came of it, but I can say for certain that the idea of doing NLP with his employees got a much warmer reception than the idea of using hypnosis, even though, in truth, the two aren't so different. To banking types, the word, 'hypnosis', is like kryptonite.
Chessman

Post by Chessman »

I started using Hypnosis, visualizations, NLP back in the late 80's. Mostly to work on trading related issues but also on some deep personal issues. A lot of the personal things cleared up, however trading issues still remain to this day. Namely lack of discipline in following mechanical systems and self-sabatoge.

In 2002 I made a commitment to do something about it, I sought out some of the best in the field of NLP in the NY area, had about 30 sessions in all. In the end I have had mixed results, again more clearing of personal issues but not much in the way of trading results.

When I explore something I really get into it, over the years I must have bought 20 books on NLP, a dozen video and audio tapes.

I think once you're done reading, my suggestion would be to seek out someone good in the field of NLP. I agree with the other poster to stay away from celebrity NLP types, but also stay away from your garden variety NLP therapists. Look for people who are Phd, lead NLP centers etc here would be an example in NY ( however this is not the one I went to). Most insurance companies will pay for part of your sessions.

http://www.nlptraining.com/index.asp?fu ... consulting

Best of luck.
Kiwi
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Kiwi »

Bill

What is the problem(s) you would like to solve?
Also are you a visualiser (can form images of things) as different strategies seem to work better depending on this element?

John
billpritjr
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by billpritjr »

Don't really have any "problems" per se, but since so much is said about the benefits of NLP and trading I wanted to learn some more about it.

I am always open to new learning and obviously anything that will help my trading.
PTCM
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

NLP FOR TRADERS

Post by PTCM »

I recently read the book "NLP for traders." One trick I found useful is that there's a serious + correlation between big breakfast and big + P/L.

Anyone experiences the same ? anyone ? :lol:
NOISE
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NLP - anyone benefit?

Post by NOISE »

NLP works. The "new" you will definitely be better than the "old" you. Of course, NLP won't program anyone's brain to replicate Einstein or anyone else who we associate with great intelligence. Fortunately, successful trading doesn't require brillance. A functioning brain and a relaxed psychology are all you need!

Good trading,

NZ

billpritjr wrote:Hey everybody

I am starting to get more and more interested in NLP programming, and just ordered some allegedly highly rated books on Amazon on the subject.

I desire to learn more about NLP both from a general perspective and trading-related. I saw some testimonials on Van Tharps site that seemed pretty positive.

On the surface NLP looks like something that can benefit everybody, trader or not.

Anyone in the audience an actual "user" (not sure the proper word) of NLP? Has it helped you? Has it helped your trading?

Thanks for the info

Merry X-Mas all

BILL
PTCM
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Re: NLP - anyone benefit?

Post by PTCM »

NOISE wrote:NLP works. The "new" you will definitely be better than the "old" you. Of course, NLP won't program anyone's brain to replicate Einstein or anyone else who we associate with great intelligence. Fortunately, successful trading doesn't require brillance. A functioning brain and a relaxed psychology are all you need!

Good trading,

NZ

Hello NOISE,

Could you share with us on how you transformed yourself from the "old" to "new" you ? how long did it take ? what exactly did you do differently ? many thanks....

billpritjr wrote:Hey everybody

Thanks for the info

Merry X-Mas all

BILL
ES
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Spoling the party

Post by ES »

Folks, I'm sorry to say but NLP and hypnotism are all very wonderful and sexy and emotionally sizzling, but these aspects have absolutely nothing to do with your mind and the decisions you make.

The brain offers intellect while the heart offers emotion. A tremendous distance exists between these two points. It is very difficult for humans to build a bridge that will link this gap. But not impossible. Thus a little secret.
If Richard Dennis believed that he could teach c.f. and the others how to trade, and believed that trading was a teachable science, then so could be the the gift to enable humans to build a bridge, linking their mind (intellect) with their heart (emotions).

The true trial lies in making one's mind control one's heart. A constant struggle exists within us and our mind wages war with our emotions constantly. Richard comes along and implements rules. Thou shall do this
The traders that accepted and followed them, remained. Russell Sands did not. Perhaps the question should be posed to Forum Mgmnt, how did he do it ? c.f. may be able to share some invaluable insight as to how he stayed on course, but I can perhaps explain the actual process that occurs. I stopped trading for two years to understand this aspect, after having traded for almost 20 years. My studies led me away from anything relating to the markets or market psychology.

Meditation is part of the work, but studies in a particular field made the world of a difference.