poll for character/temperament types

Discussions about personal psychology for the individual trader.

which type are you?

ISFJ
No votes
ISFP
1%
ISTJ
6%
ISTP
2%
INFJ
6%
INFP
4%
INTJ
42%
INTP
17%
ESFJ
No votes
ESFP
No votes
ESTJ
No votes
ESTP
No votes
ENFJ
3%
ENFP
1%
ENTJ
11%
ENTP
6%
INXP
1%

Total votes: 109

Jwebster
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Jwebster »

I find it very interesting that we have such a high % of INTJ's (of which I am apparently one). Reading the profile description of INTJ this would seem to suggest that INTJ's would be attracted to the mechanical approach to trading and trading in itself (as a way to pit your wits/research skills against other people). Anyone know what c.f. is??
NeueZiel
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by NeueZiel »

Your answer Jwebster can be found here:

viewtopic.php?t=364&start=0
Forum Mgmnt
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Forum Mgmnt »

I'm one of the four (thusfar) ENTPs.

I'm surprised how well my prediction on the other thread that S types would be rare has held up.
yp
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

personality type

Post by yp »

I'm a "ISTJ"

Was actually very surprised how accurate this test was.
:shock:
yp
Chris Murphy
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Chris Murphy »

ENTJ
Karakoram
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

How do I vote?

Post by Karakoram »

I am a "cross type" I score equally as a INFP, or INTP. So, I am an INXP.

I have scored this way since I was 18. How should I answer the poll?
verec
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by verec »

One thing that bugs me, is why most of those tests are always somehow flawed, either in big or little ways.

For example, the test at HumanMetrics asks many questions whose answer cannot be the binary choice that is offered:

- You rapidly get involved in social life at a new workplace. Answers: no, yes but slowly, yes.
- You readily help people while asking nothing in return. Answers: yes, yes but I want recognition/payment of some sort, I never ever help anyone
- You easily empathize with the concerns of other people. Answers: yes, yes with difficulty, no.
- The process of searching for solution is more important to you than the solution itself. Answers: yes because I'm an absolute dreamer, and can't keep touch with reality, yes because even though I do value the outcome, the learning experience itself is priceless, no because I'm results focused.
- Strict observance of the established rules is likely to prevent attaining a good outcome. Answers: yes because good old solutions are valid only for good old problems, yes because my ego cannot tolerate being assimilated with the unwashed masse, no because proven rules usually lead to proven results, no because it's much easier to follow than to think.

Am I just showing my "INTJ" nit-picking nature? :lol:
Forum Mgmnt
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Forum Mgmnt »

karakoram wrote:So, I am an INXP... How should I answer the poll?
Didn't you see the INXP category at the bottom? :wink:
Karakoram
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Karakoram »

Ahh yes, thank you! :D
Karakoram
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Karakoram »

One thing that bugs me, is why most of those tests are always somehow flawed, either in big or little ways.

For example, the test at HumanMetrics asks many questions whose answer cannot be the binary choice that is offered:

- You rapidly get involved in social life at a new workplace. Answers: no, yes but slowly, yes.
- You readily help people while asking nothing in return. Answers: yes, yes but I want recognition/payment of some sort, I never ever help anyone
- You easily empathize with the concerns of other people. Answers: yes, yes with difficulty, no.
- The process of searching for solution is more important to you than the solution itself. Answers: yes because I'm an absolute dreamer, and can't keep touch with reality, yes because even though I do value the outcome, the learning experience itself is priceless, no because I'm results focused.
- Strict observance of the established rules is likely to prevent attaining a good outcome. Answers: yes because good old solutions are valid only for good old problems, yes because my ego cannot tolerate being assimilated with the unwashed masse, no because proven rules usually lead to proven results, no because it's much easier to follow than to think.
The key words here are "rapidly", "easily", "readily". The thing to remember about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Keirsey Temperment sorter, and Jung's Archetypes is that they indicate personality PREFERENCE. FOr example, I am an introvert. THis is my preferred MO. That does not mean I cannot be extraverted, or even that I cannot be GOOD at extraversion. The tests just tell me what my preference is for, and what gives me more energy (introversion), vs. what takes more energy for me to accomplish (extraversion). I am also a "cross type" --an INXP. so I do not favor THinking vs. feeling. In my case, it could be a 50/50 choice as to how I arrive at a decision. I know it sounds like I might be indecisive (and when I was a teenager/early 20's, I was), but I have learned when to use thinking vs. feeling during my decision making.
Am I just showing my "INTJ" nit-picking nature?
Yup! :lol:
verec
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by verec »

I do get your point about preference, though I still think that most surveys are biased in ways that are detrimental to the survey itself.

The last question quoted in my example really is a case in point, where the same "NO" answer really means (at least) two very opposite attitudes: "I'm confident" vs "I'm lazy, not confident"... :roll:
brendo

Trader Psychology

Post by brendo »

Unsurprisingly I'm an INTJ, most of the description fits me quite well I think. This is very consistent with a "Hermann Brain" profile that I completed a few years ago. http://www.mindwerx.com.au/HBDI_programs.htm

What does really surprise me is that INTJs + INTPs make up just 2% of the general population. I mean I've always thought that my pragmatic, logical, organised and planned approach is the only way to do things ~ and it's always puzzled me why so many others do things in a less planned fashion.

Brendo
forex_kid

Post by forex_kid »

INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play

http://www.typelogic.com/intj.html

-Morgan
donaldduke
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donaldduke »

Hi,

This is my first post on Traders Roundtable, i found the site via
van tharps IITM forum.

Anyway i live in the UK and am a member of site called Trade2win.co.uk,
i started a similar poll thread and here are the results:

ISFJ 0 (0%)
ISFP 0 (0%)
ISTJ 2 (2.90%)
ISTP 3 (4.35%)
INFJ 5 (7.25%)
INFP 1 (1.45%)
INTJ 24 (34.78%)
INTP 11 (15.94%)
ESFJ 3 (4.35%)
ESFP 0 (0%)
ESTJ 1 (1.45%)
ESTP 0 (0%)
ENFJ 3 (4.35%)
ENFP 1 (1.45%)
ENTJ 10 (14.49%)
ENTP 5 (7.25%)
INXP 0 (0%)

Total votes: 69

The distributions are almost identical, i dont think any of the posters
there had seen your poll results.

73% NTs on Trade2win
75% NTs on Tradesr round table..
stopsareforwimps
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by stopsareforwimps »

redbullpeter wrote:It's possible that INTJs are attracted to mechanical trading systems more than other types. But it is early days. Let's see what the poll says mid week from now.

What I find interesting is that it were the introverts who were first to respond to the poll. Maybe there are significantly more introverts on this board than there are extroverts. Let's give the poll sometime before we start applying statistical analysis.

red
When I was younger I tested as INTJ but later on became INTP. This may be a result of the work I was doing (software architect), which was high level and conceptual. Others in the same field saw similar shifts.
TrendsCatcher
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by TrendsCatcher »

Add one more INTJ here