As a Man Thinketh - James Allen

Discussions about personal psychology for the individual trader.
AFJ Garner
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

As a Man Thinketh - James Allen

Post by AFJ Garner »

As anyone who has read a few of my more esoteric posts will realise, I am much given to the study and practice of the metaphysical. Can't help it - its just my cranky nature I guess.

In any event, somewhere on this forum I posted a reference to a book available free on the internet by Wallace D Wattles called The Science of Getting Rich. An off-putting title, which belies the more interesting thoughts contained in the book. In any event several forum members found it rather helpful.

A rather more wonderful book in the spiritual sense, which I have just discovered, is: As a Man Thinketh by James Allen. Again available free on the Internet.

Anyway, nothing I have read could be more apt to post in relation to trader physchology than this little book. Here is a delightful sample of this powerful and moving little gem:

"Man is made or unmade by himself. In the armory of thought he forges the weapons by which he destroys himself. He also fashions the tools with which he builds for himself heavenly mansions of joy and strength and peace. By the right choice and true application of thought, man ascends to the divine perfection. By the abuse and wrong application of thought he descends below the level of the beast. Between these two extremes are all the grades of character, and man is their maker and master. "

I hope some of you may enjoy the book as much as I have.
AFJ Garner
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

E Books attached

Post by AFJ Garner »

Several have asked me which sites have these little books free. I attach them.
Attachments
The Science of Getting Rich - Wallace D Wattles.doc
(285 KiB) Downloaded 1415 times
As A Man Thinketh - James Allen.doc
(112.5 KiB) Downloaded 1339 times
verec
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by verec »

Thank you very much for the pointers, which were the real gift. Now, if people weren't able to google them down, as I did, I wonder what value they will get from someone else effort to dig them out.
kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by kianti »

Master AFJ,

I welcome "your cranky nature" and I'll take the chance of asking you if you read anything from Osho.
I read a few of ihis books and found some quotes very similar to the ones of Don Ed Seykota.
Your esoteric opinion is highly regarded.

best regards, as ever

-----------------------------------------------------------
If you meet the Buddha in your meditation kill him immediately!?!
AFJ Garner
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by AFJ Garner »

No I have not read any. Thank you for the recommendation - I will take it up.
AFJ Garner
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by AFJ Garner »

The books above basically posit that we will become what we think. If we control and purify our thoughts and channel them along the rights lines, our internal character and external circumstances will alter accordingly. Although James Allen was more interested in inner peace achieved through moral rectitude and decency than riches.

According to James Allen, by becoming good people and by right thinking and right actions we will achieve both peace and (if we so desire) material comfort. His is the book I prefer.

I think we all know of a certain very wise Indian gentleman who would not have disagreed with much of what Mr Allen had to say. Although he would not approve of the seeking of material comforts, our Indian saviour at least chose a “middle wayâ€
Attachments
InvestEmotions.pdf
(303.86 KiB) Downloaded 1313 times
kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by kianti »

The eventual conclusion of some of the scientists quoted supports James Allen and the Buddha. We can learn, we can govern our behaviour and our emotions, our brain (our personality?) CAN be trained along the lines suggested by James Allen.
Same conclusions can be found on:
Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama by Daniel Goleman
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/055380 ... s&n=283155
In the book you will find also a scientific description of the "smile" experiment from Paul Ekman the "maestro" of face patterns recognition
AFJ Garner
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by AFJ Garner »

Fascinating, thank you. I will buy it. One problem I have found with reading anything by the Dalai Lama has been the quality of the translation into English. I suspect he has much to say which I would like to hear and I very much look forward to reading this.
kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by kianti »

AFJ Garner wrote:Fascinating, thank you. I will buy it. One problem I have found with reading anything by the Dalai Lama has been the quality of the translation into English. I suspect he has much to say which I would like to hear and I very much look forward to reading this.
I feel you'll enjoy it, in the book you will find some fine discussions on the meaning and translation of words like "emotion" or "meditation" in eastern and western cultures.
Horizon21786
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Horizon21786 »

There are spiritual books and scientific books... nothing says the two are not to come to the same conclusion by two different paths..

One of my best reads last year on the brain was:

"The Brain that Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge, MD - easy read and very interesting. There is a chapter on imagination / visualisation that is very interesting

If you like these kinds of books then a different outlook of life / disease is
"Survival of the sickest" by Sharon Moalem. Nothing to do with this thread. Just an interesting science book that might change your views on how to see disease.
Moto moto
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Moto moto »

The brain that changes itself - great book, and covers the scientific reasoning for why all the other books work.
I also just finished a little book I found called "the winning investment habits of warren buffett and George Soros" - Mark Tier.
(similar to many ideas of trend trading)

Point being that a lot of trader psychology can actually be taught or learnt by training the brain with good exercises and beliefs. (no different to muscle training)
stamo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by stamo »

Another good self-dev book is "Think & Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.

E-book attached.

Executive summary is in book's 3rd to last paragraph that begins with "The Master Key ..."
Attachments
Hill, Napoleon - Think & Grow Rich.pdf
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 751 times
nzbryant

Brain that changes itself

Post by nzbryant »

Horizon21786 wrote: One of my best reads last year on the brain was:

"The Brain that Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge, MD - easy read and very interesting.
Completely concur. That is one of the most enlightening books I have read.