Meditation

Discussions about personal psychology for the individual trader.
Turbowagon
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Meditation

Post by Turbowagon »

Does anyone have experience with the Silva Method of meditation or any other form of meditation? I've just started reading about it a bit. Thanks.
William
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by William »

I dont have any experience with that method.

I use Centerpointe audio CD's that uses different frequencies in each stereo head phone which help stimulate brain activity as well as helping the user obtain DELTA brain waves. I have done some relaxing exercises and meditation before sleeping and i have slept like a ROCK, literally not moving in my bed. Also i found the CD's helpful, seems to remove the random thoughts that usually pop into your head while "thinking about nothing" lowering the noise.

Its a bit expensive and i believe there are non-pesonalized version for much cheaper on the net.
Moritz Mechanicus
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Moritz Mechanicus »

I use (and am dealer of) the Monroe Institute's hemi-sync material. Should you wish more info, do send me a Private Mail.

Moritz (who hopes he hasn't violated the Forum Etiquette with this posting...)
damian
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by damian »

I try and sit each morning for 30 minutes and think of nothing, a brain void, same again in the evening. It is very hard but just trying makes me feel better.
kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by kianti »

I would suggest Ashtanga Yoga: meditation in movement + yoga nidra.

A good book about meditation:
The Art of Meditation by Daniel Goleman
GammaTrader
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by GammaTrader »

I sit on the shore of Lake Superior 30 minutes a day and watch the waves coming in.

Gamma
Tigerline

Post by Tigerline »

I use the centerpointe CD. Well worth the money. A lot of supportive science detailed on website.
http://www.centerpointe.com/
edward kim
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by edward kim »

kianti wrote:I would suggest Ashtanga Yoga: meditation in movement + yoga nidra.

A good book about meditation:
The Art of Meditation by Daniel Goleman
Yes.

You also might want to experience Holotropic Breathwork. I currently do this with some facilitators who are students of Stanislav Grof, and I do go very deep.

Edward
kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by kianti »

Thanks Eck,

I read last night an interesting report of a recent Holotropic Breathwork Experience in Berkley CA, I found it very interesting and I would like to experience it.

You may also like to experience Udjjay breathing in Ashtanga Yoga. See
http://www.itsyoga.net/docs/aym_us_sample.pdf
for a quick introduction.
Dan G

Post by Dan G »

I use yoga as a tool. It helps to focus the mind on what is important.

For about a decade I studied martial arts. MA helps to learn flexibility of thought and living in the moment, with the right teacher.

My new girlfriend (and now wife) persuaded me to try yoga with her, and the experience was far more interesting than I expected. The workout was more difficult than it looked, but even more importantly, my mind felt great.

I describe this yoga feeling as very similar to the feeling you might get after being on vacation for several weeks in a beautiful location. Also, there is the wide focus of the eyes and calmness of muscle, and a little grin that is part of the result as well.
William
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by William »

Mike,

I just started taking martial arts a few weeks ago, Hapkido. Its a form of Aikido and a type of juijitsu. Obviously, every art offers each person something different in this case, I love it, since its all about redirecting and going with the flow, being relaxed, which i thought would be helpful in my life and trading.

I will agree with your comment about the teacher. The teacher, i was lucky enough to find, is the founder's star pupil and the highest ranking dan in the world. He is a true martial artists and the lessons he gives about life are incredible. His understanding of the art and the martial artist spirit is what makes his class a pleasure to attend. Having tried several other arts along the way, i can say the teacher makes all the difference in the world.
Dan G

Post by Dan G »

I studied Hapkido and Tiajitsu/Ninjitsu.

:)
AFJ Garner
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Meditation

Post by AFJ Garner »

I have practised simple meditation and self hypnosis for some years now. In combination with rigorous daily exercise, no alcohol or cigarettes and a healthy diet, I certainly feel a lot better than I did 10 years ago before I started. Immeasurably better. But for me, all these elements have to be combined - a kind of holistic approach I guess. Another point is like many people whose posts I have read recently, I find it totally essential to work completely alone, in my own home and have done so for 12 years; no customers, no employer, no employees.

Have I achieved Nibbana? I fear not, not by a very long chalk. I still get very irritable with my family (although I try hard not to) and get gloomy and despondent when markets are not going my way.

My favourite place for meditation would be a Norman church in some very remote English village. My favourite is the church at a hamlet called Stoke on the wild and under-populated north Devon coastline. With origins dating back so far, it seems a place well suited to contemplation and peace and generations of seekers seem to leave their mark in such places. Ancient, musty, slightly damp, spiritual, mysterious.
Turbowagon
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Turbowagon »

Wow, I hit a main vein! Thanks for all the replies. I will research them. Regarding the martial arts, I have always been interested in the Chinese energy arts like Tai-Chi Chuan, Ba-gua, and Taoist meditation but have yet to find a reputable Master in my area. Seems like there are a lot of them on the West Coast for some reason. Anyway, thanks for the advice all.

p.s. The Centerpointe webiste was very interesting. Tigerline and William, I would like to hear more about your experiences with it, if you don't mind sharing some of them. :wink:
Tigerline

Post by Tigerline »

I have been using the Centerpointe CD for about a year. Since the very beginning I found my concentration improved, my thinking was clear and I felt very calm. Listening to the CD was relaxing. For the first few months, I fell asleep on just about every occasion.

I found the science behind the Holosync CD's very interesting. I am a doctor of medicine and see a lot of potential for this technology.

I combine this with books by Vernon Howard, Gurdjieff and Ouspensky,Krishnamurti and Nicholl. There are many others of course. The secret is "Present Moment Living". Trading is a great way to confront the problems we all have. We have to overcome these problems to become profitable traders. Holosync helps I think.
leonardo
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by leonardo »

Remembering to breathe between sips of my coffee creates a perfect atmosphere for centering on my trading during trading hours.:lol:

Remembering to breathe between sips of my whisky sour (20 year old scotch) helps center me after the trading hours. Only one centering beverage necessary.:wink:

Leonardo
Mark_et_Lizard
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Mark_et_Lizard »

like Li Po and George Thoroughgood i drink alone

Drinking Alone

I take my wine jug out among the flowers
to drink alone, without friends.

I raise my cup to entice the moon.
That, and my shadow, makes us three.

But the moon doesn't drink,
and my shadow silently follows.

I will travel with moon and shadow,
happy to the end of spring.

When I sing, the moon dances.
When I dance, my shadow dances, too.

We share life's joys when sober.
Drunk, each goes a separate way.

Constant friends, although we wander,
we'll meet again in the Milky Way.

Li Po
kianti
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by kianti »

Drinking Alone
Remembering to breathe between sips of my whisky sour (20 year old scotch)
We all know that a few drinks too many can help deep relaxation or even Near Death Experiences; you may consider starting a discussion about drinking&trading in a new thread and I would be very happy to recommend a meditation wine like Solaia.

In Vino Veritas
Mark_et_Lizard
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Post by Mark_et_Lizard »

is this it? do you recomend the 99 or 2000?

1. Antinori
Solaia

"Dark in color, with intense aromas of blackberries and fresh herbs, such as basil, with a hint of eucalyptus. Full-bodied, with extremely well-polished tannins and a long, long finish. A tight and racy young wine that needs time to come into its own. Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Sangiovese. Best after 2005. 7,000 cases made." -Wine Spectator

Size: F - 750 ml

2. Antinori
Solaia

A blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cabernet Franc and 20% Sangiovese. Intensely fruity and complex with a good structure, soft tannins and a lingering finish. Displays unmistakable varietal flavor while retaining strong regional character.

Size: F - 750 ml
Bin: 91488
FuturesTrader71
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Meditation

Post by FuturesTrader71 »

turbowagon wrote:Does anyone have experience with the Silva Method of meditation or any other form of meditation? I've just started reading about it a bit. Thanks.
Hi Turbo,

As far as meditation goes, I only use one type that I have found to be super-effective. It is called Transcendental Meditation or TM. It takes about 20 minutes of actual meditation and then about 5 to 10 minutes of just rest afterwards. I've always been skeptical of the "mystic" or superstition, but I just couldn't argue with the effectiveness of TM. I know quite a few traders who have been and are still very successful using TM.

The advantage with TM, IMHO, is that it is not a focus technique. The intent is to let the mind that what it is naturally inclined to do. I have talked with others who started with TM and went on to other things and ended up coming back and I have also spoken with those who started with a different guru and stayed with TM once they learned it. There is an enormous and very powerful movement here in the US. Focus on the technique, not the politics of the meditation that you choose.

You will know when you have the right technique when you won't have to focus and your mind goes into this zone where you feel like you are in another dimension. Once I'm done (it is practiced twice a day), I feel like I just had the most incredible nap and I'm energized. It's awesome!!!!

If you want to learn more, go to www.tm.org

Meditation is a key tool in my trading arsenal. I hope you find yours. :wink: