What is lifestyle for professional trader?

Discussions about personal psychology for the individual trader.
oem7110
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

What is lifestyle for professional trader?

Post by oem7110 »

If trading is your career, could you please share on how your lifestyle is.

Do you work alone in your life? any social life?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
fab1usa1
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by fab1usa1 »

My typical day consists of waking up at 6am (east coast time), flipping on the computers, downloading CSI data, and then running Trading Blox to send the orders to my broker. I am typically done by 6:45am. And then most times I simply turn off the computers, and go about my household chores, meeting friends for lunch, etc. Every once in awhile when I am inspired I do system development. That's pretty much it: 1 hour of work and 23 hours of whatever moves me.

I have been trading for a living for three years. The first couple years comprised of intensive systems development. The hardest part of trading is psychological: enduring drawdowns and following the system rules faithfully.
sinkpretend

Re: What is lifestyle for professional trader?

Post by sinkpretend »

heyy fab1usa1 hi, I read your reply here and I am very impressed with that who dosen't want to have a life like 1 hr of work and 23 hours of your own fun, I just want to ask you how you managed to take your level so high that you are now able to finish it all in around 1 hour?
fab1usa1
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by fab1usa1 »

Well, I've got the operational part of trading down to one hour per day. My accounts are with Interactive Brokers. Thanks to Tim and his crew at Trading Blox it is a simple matter of sending orders directly to my Trader Workstation. This is a huge time savings since there can be up to 20 limit orders per day per account. I trade five accounts. So yes I accomplish this all within an hour each day but what you don't see is the maintenance and validation that I do, as well as the constant search for new systems. But none of that do I consider "work". It's all enjoyable.
EVASim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by EVASim »

Trading can be a very active lifestyle.
Many traders use their down time to participate in trading seminars to meet new people in the financial world.
Professional traders have many advantages: you can be your own boss, set your own schedule, work from home and achieve unlimited profits.
Trading for the big firms is all about whom you know, and indeed, getting involved in the trading community
Skill-building activities, such as looking at old charts, reviewing failed trades, or sharpening your trend line drawing skills, are a great way to spend the surplus of time trading provides. Developing a trading plan planner is another good way to spend the extra time, as a complete trading plan will give you the confidence to trade, even when the market goes against you.