Economist Article on Trendfollowing

Discussions about the psychology of the markets and the masses as it relates to trading.
drm7
Roundtable Fellow
Roundtable Fellow

Economist Article on Trendfollowing

Post by drm7 »

Just read an interesting article in The Economist which talked about trend-following - and the possible reasons why it has worked over the past, oh, 100 years.

Why Newton was wrong
jas-105
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by jas-105 »

For those interested in momentum in equities in particular, there is a good annual publication by the London Business School called the GIRY , 2008 had a decent section on momentum in stocks. Here is the summary version:

http://www.london.edu/assets/documents/ ... sis(1).pdf

Anyone who has £150 burning a hole in their pocket, the full version is definately worth investing in !
Chris67
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Chris67 »

I have an article on Trend Following going into the Feb 11th edition of Moneyweek magazine if anyone is interested.
I was asked to write it by a friend as a favor - I wouldnt normally want to - the readership audience of this magazine virtually guarantees it will go un-noticed/ disliked / misunderstood - the audience will undoubtedly be quickly flipping through the pages trying to get the next hot stock tips
Feedback always useful if anyone does read it
Best#C
rabidric
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by rabidric »

found it

http://www.moneyweek.com/investment-adv ... iend-52416

i'm afraid my feedback is no revelation: you already gave it yourself-
due to the readership you had to keep it nice and generic, (but true afaik), but most people will skim past it anyway.

I'll give you feedback on something else though:
you have a nice website!
( i'll let you post the link if you want to.)
Chris67
Roundtable Knight
Roundtable Knight

Post by Chris67 »

actually I need to update my post above on Moneyweek - The comeback fromn this article has been truly immense - Ive had over 200 people coming in to me on this.
Obvioulsy the major problem here - especially from a UK regulatory perspective - is that we have to be extremely careful who we promote our fund to - so out of the 200 attempted website registrations and interest , perhaps 20 have been allowed theough the net as being eligible for promotion - it really is a minefield to promote a UCIS to onshore UK investors and an area where you MUST stay whiter than white - just in case anybody is thinking of going down this route
Best
C